Antrim Grammar School considers applications from pupils who have taken the entrance assessments anywhere in Northern Ireland provided by the Association for Quality Education (AQE) or PPTC GL Assessment (GLA).
The school will host both AQE and GLA tests.
You can find the presentation from our May 2022 AGE/GL Information Afternoon for P6 parents here.
AQE Key Dates and Information
The 2022/2023 Common Entrance Assessment (“CEA”) will take place on the following dates:
Assessment 1 – Saturday 19th November 2022
Assessment 2 – Saturday 26th November 2022
Assessment 3 – Saturday 3rd December 2022
The application form Registration Portal is now live via ‘Applications for Registrations 2022/2023‘.
A provisional date for the issue of results will be Saturday 4th February 2023.
To take account of the considerable disruption caused by Covid-19 to children’s education over the past two years, the mitigation arrangements put in place for the 2021/22 assessment will remain the same for this year.
- Pupils will be given an extra 10 minutes to complete each paper (ie.70 minutes instead of 60 minutes).
- The language within the English and Maths questions will be made more accessible.
- The length of the English passages will be shortened where appropriate.
- Certain topic areas will be omitted from the Mathematics Specification.
Further information on these changes are available on the AQE website.
GL Key Dates and Information
Below are important dates for those children preparing to sit the PPTC GL Assessment to gain entry to Year 8 in September 2023:
Friday 23rd September 2022 – Deadline (2.00pm) for receipt of completed Registration Forms.
Saturday 12th November 2022 – Entrance Assessment.
Monday 21st November 2022 – Deadline (2.00pm) for receipt of Supplementary Entrance Assessment requests.
Saturday 10th December 2022 – Supplementary Entrance Assessment
Wednesday 14th December 2022 – Deadline (2.00 pm) for registering claims for Special Circumstances.
Friday 5th February 2023 - Results of the Entrance Assessment posted (first class) to pupils’ homes.
Tuesday 21st February 2023 - Deadline (2.00 pm) for receipt of Entrance Assessment re-mark requests.
All documentation relating to the GL tests, including access arrangements, special circumstances and special provision applications can be found at the PPTC website www.pptcni.com.
- Registration Pack List and Timetable 2022-23
- PPTC Entrance Assessment Registration Form - Guidance Notes 2022-23
- Entrance Assessment Registration Form 2022-23
- PPTC FAQs 2022-23
- Details of the PPTC Entrance Assessment 2022-23 including format and specification
- PPTC Policy on Access Arrangements 2022-23
- PPTC Access Arrangements Form AA1 2022-23
- PPTC Access Arrangements Form AA2 2022-23 Medical Information
- PPTC Access Arrangements Form AA3 2022-23 Special Educational Needs
Familiarisation Documents and Practice Materials are available on the PPTCNI website.
Starting a new school is a very exciting time for pupils and at Antrim Grammar School we aim to provide a supportive and informative Induction Programme as we welcome you into the school community. This includes an Induction afternoon in June when parents and pupils are invited into school and pupils are given the opportunity to meet the other members of their class, as well as their Class Tutors and Year Tutors, encouraging friendships and relationships to grow.
We also have an Induction Event in the Autumn term. For parents, this consists of an information session detailing the school's strong emphasis on academic achievement, assessment and reporting and extra-curricular activities. Pupils will be with their classes taking part in some teambuilding activities and getting a tour of the school.
Throughout these induction activities, pupils are nurtured and supported by the experienced and committed pastoral team. Miss Moore and Dr Finlay, the Year Tutors for Year 8, work hard to ensure that pupils needs are met and that any worries are addressed.
Click here for the Induction Presentation from 15th June 2021.
Click here to view the Induction Booklet for September 2021.
Click here to view the School Calendar for 2021/22.
Click here for the Equipment List for September 2021.
Click here for sample menus from ‘The Hot Plate' for September 2021.
This year all Year 8 pupils are challenged to ‘Be Awesome, Go Big’. There will be so many opportunities for all pupils to be awesome and to go big throughout the school year. In preparation for September, this area of the website is designed to motivate, help and support pupils and parents so that you feel equipped for the journey ahead.
Are you getting ready to Go Big?
In preparation for September we would like you to:
- Complete the ‘Be Awesome, Go Big’ workbook before you start in September
- Complete as many of the activities on the ‘Getting Ready to Go Big’ activity sheet. You can send pictures of you doing any of the challenges to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be a Wild World Hero and start reading books from our Reading List
- Read Matthew Burton’s book, ‘Go Big’ which will be delivered to your house over the coming weeks
- Read our 5 Steps to Transition to help with your mental health and wellbeing and think about each of these as you make the change to secondary school
We appreciate your support at home to make the transition from primary school to secondary school as smooth as possible for your child. We would appreciate it if you could ensure that your child completes the preparation work outlined as it will be the foundation for their ‘Character’ and ‘English’ classes. In addition, please take time to read the Parent Information section as it is designed to help you as you make the transition from primary school to secondary school alongside your child.
Please click below to read our guides to help you make the transition from primary school to secondary school alongside your child.: