Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School Life at Antrim Grammar School

Engineering and Technology

 

Teaching Staff

Mr R. Cullen

Mr J. McMahon 

Introduction

In an ever increasing technological society with an ever increasing pace of change, it is important that our young people are equipped with the necessary skills and abilities to meet this challenging society.

Technology and Engineering strives to stimulate the pupil’s curiosity, imagination, creativity and to develop their ability to engage and contribute effectively in our technological society. Teaching and

Learning Aims

Across all three Key Stages the emphasis on teaching and learning is through the use of design and make practical activities. Pupils are given the opportunity to work in wood, metal and plastic to solve a variety of situations. At Key Stage Four and Five students further their knowledge and understanding with in depth study of modern manufacturing and modern/smart materials.

T&D is taught as a timetabled subject to all pupils in Years 8 to 10.  At GCSE level pupils can opt to study GCSE Engineering and at GCE, Product Design.

 

Key Stage 3 summary

year 8

Unit 1 Three Cut Car Project

Unit 2 Isometric Drawing

Unit 3 Mini Light Project

year 9

Unit 4 Electronics (Transistors)

Unit 5 Mobile Phone Stand Project

Unit 6 Tipper Lorry Project

year 10

Unit 7 Mechanised Car Project

Unit 8 Technical Drawing

Unit 9 Computer Aided Design

 

GCSE Engineering SUMMARY

The emphasis of the course is on practical skills with 60% of the assessment being through controlled assessment and the remaining through two written papers. 

Content

Assessment

Weighting

Unit 1 Engineering Design

Controlled Assessment

Year 11

30%

Unit 2 Engineering Manufacture

 

Controlled Assessment

Year 12 30%

Unit 3: Engineering Theory

External Examination

Year 12

40%


GCE T&D PRODUCT DESIGN SUMMARY

Students are required to study two modules for AS level and a further two for A2.  Again the emphasis is on practical skills with 60% of the assessment  through design and manufacture project work. The remaining 40% is assessed with a terminal examination in the summer of year 13 and 14.Year 13

Unit

Content

 Assessment

Weighting

(Total 100%)

1

Portfolio of creative skills ( 6RM01)

Coursework (3 sections)

60

2

Design and Technology in practice (6RM02)

External examination

40


 

Year 14 

Unit

Content

 Assessment

Weighting

(Total 100%)

3

   

Design for the Future (6RM03)

External examination

40

4

Commercial Design (6RM04)

Coursework, design and make project

60

 

Career Opportunities

  
Engineering (all fields), Product Design and related areas such as Computer Aided Design.

 

DEPARTMENT achievements
100% pass rate at GCSE, AS and A Level 2015